Week of 8-28-17

Dear Parents,
What a wonderful first week of school. I have so enjoyed getting to know your children and hope to make this a wonderful year.
I am including a copy of this newsletter in the Friday folder because we have not had parent orientation yet and some of you may not know how to get to my webpage. To get to my webpage go to the Spicewood homepage, click on directory, second grade and then under Helen Hansen website. I will post the newsletter on Friday afternoon or not later than Monday afternoon. Once I get a parent email group created, I will email you when it is updated.
On my webpage you will see a drop down menu in the top left hand corner. You will find pages for important dates, homework, and the class schedule.
Schedule:
If you need to let me know that day that your child is going home a different way please call the office. I often do not get a chance to check my email until after dismissal and I would hate to miss the email.  Thank you.
Homework:
There will be no assigned homework until after parent orientation.
Important Dates:
Parent orientation is on September 7 from 5:30 - 6:00.
Class schedule:
I sent home a copy of the schedule but did not know the specials rotation at the time. We have PE on Monday, Wednesday and 1/2 of Friday. Music and art are on Tuesday, Thursday and 1/2 of Friday on alternating week. This week was music so art will be next week.

What have we been doing in class this week?
Science and social studies: We have been playing some get to know you games. We have also discussed and created our classroom essential agreements, and learned about and created a chart for growth mindset. We will begin our unit of inquiry "Who We Are" is upcoming week.

Math: We have been learning about graphing. We have created a graph about how we get home, and out birthdays. We have learned about the different parts of a graph including labels, numbers, a title, the data, and organization of data. Students began working collecting data and creating a graph of their choice on Friday. We will continue graphing this next week and begin place value.

Reading: We have created our classroom library procedures and students have been building stamina by reading to self. Next week we will be looking at buddy reading and continue to build our stamina by reading for longer periods of time. We will be discussing the role of a reader in a classroom

Writing: We have written about our first day of school and worked on some team building activities. Next week we will be working on the writers role in the classroom and establishing our writing workshop.

I hope this first week of school has been a wonderful experience for your students. Have a wonderful weekend.

Ms. Hansen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog